In cooking lighter, meatless meals for my family, I was having a hard time satisfying everyone. And even more challenging, was coming up with alternatives to our favorite pasta dishes. Over the years, I’ve come to realize the key to cooking healthy meals is flavor! If you take away meat and most of the fat, you have to be creative with your ingredients. Enter the zoodle! Zucchini sliced into the shape of a pasta noodle. Brilliant if you ask me.
I just upgraded my spiralizer from a little handheld one to this one by OXO. And I love it!!! I have pretty much spiralized every fruit and veggie in my kitchen!This is my version of a great zoodle recipe meal that can be prepared in a short amount of time, is heart-healthy and everyone will love it! I have served this Zucchini alla Puttanesca to so many times…no one has yet to figure out there’s anchovies in the dish!!! 🙂
- 3 Zucchini
- 3-4 Anchovies (you won’t taste them, they just give a salty richness to the dish)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Handful of capers
- Handful of pitted black olives
- Red Pepper flakes
- 14 oz. can of tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Handful of fresh basil, chiffonade (thinly sliced)
- Get a pan nice and hot, then turn down to a medium heat.
- Add about a tablespoon of olive oil, just enough to coat the bottom. Crush three cloves of garlic into the oil. Add three or four anchovies.
- The anchovies should start to disintegrate in the oil and the garlic gently brown and soften. Add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes to the sizzling oil.
- Roughly chop up your black olives and capers and add them too.
- Give it all a good stir around and fry for a minute.
- Add tomatoes.
- Let it all bubble away, stirring now and then for a few mins. Then put on one side to cool.
- Using a spiralizer or a funny mandolin attachment, cut your courgettes into noodles.
- Toss the sauce with your noodles.
- And serve with some fresh basil and Parmesan.